Here’s the summary of “Dietary Polyphenols: Important Non-Nutrients in the Prevention of Chronic Noncommunicable Diseases.”
Modern humans are more prone to having what are called non-communicable diseases (NCDs) as a result of doing the opposite of what the hunter-gatherers did back in the past.
- cardio- and cerebrovascular diseases
- cancers with lifestyle components
- endocrine/metabolic disorders
- gastrointestinal disorders
- kidney disease
- mental/central nervous system (CNS) health
- musculoskeletal disorders
- respiratory diseases
- reproductive disorders
- dermatological disorders
Our hunter-gatherer ancestors
- Were more active, moving to get food.
- Ate fresh food, fruits, nuts, marine animals, wild mammals.
- Were exposed to the sun more
- Had regular sleep pattern according to natural daylight and nightfall
- Had lack of chronic stress
There could be counter-arguments to doing exactly what the cavemen did, such as eating everything raw; we now know that certain vegetables are more nutritious cooked or meat should be cooked for sanitation purposes. However, there’s something you can apply to your diet to mitigate the accumulation of cellular and genetic damages.
The reviewer states that increasing the intake of polyphenols might be key to reverse the oxidative damage done by our modern lifestyle and exposure to chemicals and toxins.
The effects of polyphenols found in vitro and in vivo are
- antioxidant properties
- anticancer properties
- prevention of cardiovascular diseases
- weight-reducing properties
- anti-Alzheimer’s Disease
Of course, you should know that previously the benefits of these antioxidants were highly debated as these compounds were considered anti-nutrients.
Permanent link: https://doi.org/10.3390/nu11051039
DISCLAIMER: I AM NOT A MD PROVIDING A MEDICAL ADVICE AND YOU ARE FREE TO LEARN FROM MY POSTS OR APPLY THEM YOUR OWN WAY IN YOUR LIFE. I, HOWEVER, BELIEVE THAT HEALTH CARE IS MORE THAN GETTING YOUR ROUTINE CHECK-UP ONCE A YEAR AND IT’S A LIFESTYLE AND A LIFELONG MANAGEMENT THROUGH A VARIETY OF METHODS SUITED TO YOURSELF. #BIOINDIVIDUALISM